Who Are We?
Ross Kauffman, PhD, MPH
President, Chief Executive Officer
Hyperborean's founder and lead developer is Dr. Ross Kauffman, an academic epidemiologist interested in using technology to improve health. As a post-doctoral fellow, Dr. Kauffman was part of a team creating an anti-smoking videogame for pre-adolescent girls. In 2015, while working as a professor, he sought and obtained funding to purchase a second-generation Oculus developer kit, and has since explored applications of virtual reality for teaching and public health research. This has included creating virtual tours of locations related to course content, working with students in an interdisciplinary data analytics course to develop a VR visualization tool for multi-dimensional data, and crafting an experience that immerses students in a three-dimensional representation of John Snow’s famous map of the 1854 Broad Street cholera outbreak. Prior to founding Hyperborean, Ross taught and lead public health education at Bluffton University and Ohio Northern University.
- B.S., Biology and Environmental Science, Eastern Mennonite University, Harrisonburg, VA, 2003
- M.P.H., Epidemiology, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH, 2006
- Ph.D., Epidemiology with minor in Criminology, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH, 2009
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Training in Research for Behavioral Oncology and Cancer Control Program, Indiana University School of Nursing, Indianapolis, IN, 2009-2011
Rudi Kauffman, PhD, MAT
Rudi Kauffman is philosopher, historian, and teacher with a focus on restorative justice. He is currently business manager for Hickory Medical Direct Primary Care. He taught at Bluffton University, Bellefontaine (Ohio) Middle School, and Richmond (Indiana) Friends School.
- B.S., History & Social Science; Sociology; Justice, Peace and Conflict Studies, Eastern Mennonite University, Harrisonburg, VA, 2001
- Masters Art Teaching, Earlham College, Richmond, IN, 2003
- Ph.D., International Relations, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, OH, 2011
Ryan Kauffman, MD, FAAFP
Chief Technology Officer
Ryan Kauffman, MD, FAAFP is a Board-Certified Family Physician who founded Hickory Medical Direct Primary Care in Bellefontaine, Ohio. Dr. Kauffman started in software development by 1983. He has developed for a variety of platforms ranging from Apple Basic to PalmOS and Windows Mobile to PHP to VR. Dr. Kauffman has developed applications to support clinical decision making, educate patients, facilitate documentation and support health research.
- BS, Biology, Eastern Mennonite University, Harrisonburg, VA, 1999
- MD, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH, 2003
- Family Medicine Residency, Riverside Family Medicine Residency, Columbus, OH 2006